View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
jbrowning is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to install 7 wire hook up on my truck.

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 ltr 4x4 extended cab. It did not come with a tow package. Hold on here is a picture of my outfit (if that is what you want to call it)

Nothing great but I sure do love it. I have been running this for about a year and have had no problems at all. But now I am wanting to connect back up the old 7 plug connector that was on the trailer (now it is running on a 4 plug)....which means I need to do the same thing on my truck. Now I have found the wiring harness under the dash of the truck to plug the brake controller into and I have the brake controller and connecter and am ready to jump on this with both feet in the morning. But I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me answer.

With the wiring harness already under the dashboard, do I need to do the wiring to the battery or is it just simply plugging the controller into the wiring harness and that's it (for the front of the truck)?

Second the person who owned the truck before me has the back end wired for a 4 plug flat connector. Can I splice into this or would the 7 wire plug be tied up somewhere under the bed of the truck? If I splice into this where do I get the other 3 wires to make it a 7 wire plug?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I will be tackling something like this and I really don't want to screw it up. After this all gets done then I get to start finding out what wires to go what on the old trailer. Woohoo!!! Come on over, we're gonna have a party.

Thank you
Jim Browning
Colorado

Last edited by jbrowning; 02-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored links