View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
02 Cummins Guy is on a distinguished road

I know it has been awhile since you asked the question, but I haven't been on in a long time.
I have an 02 also. It ran o.k, but just seemed like it was restricted, and didn't pull like I thought it should. So I took it to our local shop that specializes in diesels, and talked to them.
My first thought was a programmer, but he talked me out of it to start with.
We went withan AFR Cold air intake, and 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back, with a low restriction muffler. He said, we will do this to start, then if you want more, we can add a programmer.

I told him, thats fine, but if it sounds like one of the trucks a 20 year old drives around ( really noisy turbo and exhaust ) you are taking it off...

It made a huge difference. Like night and day. I can hear a little bit of turbo and exhaust but thats fine.

I haven't added a programmer yet, but I sold my big camper and boat, so I'm not towing anything heavy. I think you would be surprised at the difference, and you don't have to worry about any durability issues with the engine or tranny.