View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEdsGarage View Post
Nice job!
I am new to the site and found it while searching for amp installations using stock head units.

I would like to retain my stock stereo for looks and for the sirius subscription. I was looking to run an Alpine 100x4 amp to new speakers (haven't decided which ones yet). I had a couple of questions.
1) Is all that is needed to run the signal to the amp a line out converter? I assume that is because the stock stereo has no rca outputs?
2) I have read elsewhere that the sound quality will be poor regardless of what amp and speakers I choose. And that line converters tend to feed noise into the amp. I am not looking for audiophile quality sound and don't plan on running a separate sub either. I just wanted a higher powered system and much better speakers to make the trips more enjoyable. Are you satisfied with the sound quality of the amplified stock stereo feeding better speakers through the amp?

Any help is appreciated!
Ed
1) Yes. That is exactly right.
2) A lot of newer amps will usually filter out the pop caused by turning on and off of the amp, and also any white noise that can come thru. Even alternator whine. I am using the stock radio with LOC to two amps and am satisfied with it for now.