Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:16
tdub2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Hauling a Slide-in Camper

Hey guys, looking to get a slide in camper, but my only problem is my little half ton. We've talked about a Cummins upgrade, but that's a bit out of our price range right now, so it looks like we're going to beef up the 1500.

First off, I'm thinking of throwing a helper spring and some airbags under the rear axle. I've heard people say to only do one at a time, but none have really given a good explanation. I think that if you only had the bags inflated when you're towing for that short distance, you wouldn't have very many problems, but I'm not sure. It sounds like it's more of a comfort thing.

Next, I'm looking into a S&B intake, a Summit Racing 3" exhaust, and a Superchips programmer (unless the new Edge would work on my truck, but that questions is in another thread)

So broken down the cost is roughly $1300. But, the truck will be puting out roughly 300 hp and 450 ft/lbs, which is pretty sweet in my book. I'm a little conserned about the tranny handling that. I've had no problmes so far going stock, but power increases scare me a bit.

To recap in case you skimmed,

-What do you think would help the truck out in hauling a slide in camper?
-If i hopped up the 5.9, do you think I'd have some transmission issues?

Thanks all!
Sponsored links