View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Okay, The radiator is fairly new, the thermostat and the water pump is also new, and still wants to get over normal temp, so I checked the fan clutch, and it's bad so I changed it, big improvement on the clutch, but it still wants to get over the normal temp Gage at higher RPM....I live in Texas, so the weather isn't bad rite now, maybe 65-70 degrees so the weather actually helps cool the motor..... I'm at a lost now and don't get

What about timing, does the timing have any affect on it? Only thing is, my truck cranks and runs great, until it gets a little to warm!!

2002 Dodge Ram 4.7L

Any ideas or suggestions, guys???
Timing will certainly have an effect on the engine temperature, this is why most people who put a hotter cam in their vehicle usually have a performance radiator and a lower temperatured thermostat. It's good to have an engine that heats up quick and runs warm, you get out of open loop and you burn the fuel more fully (hopefully without ping).

At a higher RPM you're going to notice the temperature gauge go up, mostly on older vehicles because the timing chain stretches a little and it has a small effect on timing which can possibly have a direct effect on the temperature, especially when the computer begins to do spark retarding at higher RPM's to bring up the torque a little.