View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to this RamforumZ

if the boat & trailer are around 3000 to 4000 pounds & you don't pull anything much heavier, i see a 1500 in your future

How much does your boat & trailer weigh loaded,
How many people are usually in the Ram when you are towing
How much gear is in the Rams bed
What is the rear differential RATIO on the 2500
Is it a 4 wheel drive or 2

You would still get the same towing MPG
The suspension on the 1500 really is NOT that good for towing or hauling of heavier weights

You would get a little better MPG with the 1500 when not towing or hauling, only because the 1500 is lighter than the 2500 by around 500 - 600 pounds

I know i didn't help much

If you current rear end is say a 3.73 ratio & you bought a 2011 1500 Hemi with a 3.92 ratio, you may get 2 MPG better on local non towing/hauling drives in the country
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle