View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I drive lots of rental trucks for work, as well as own both a F-350 and a Ram 1500. I like to think I'm fairly impartial on the matter.

When it comes to the 1/2 tons, the 04+ Ram with either a 4.7L or a 5.7L win me over everytime, and I don't include the 03 because that hemi is bastardization of the magnum and hemi with very little support for the year. Ford builds a solid truck, they have a lot fewer issues overall, compared to all the manufacturers, it's just their engines that really lets it down. The 4.6L Triton was a decent motor for very light duty work, but the 5.4L was disappointing when it came to actually doing anything with. They were very poor on fuel mileage, I know, I had an '06 for a year from work... averaged 13mpg mostly highway. One thing it did do well though was haul weight, it had 365ft-lb of torque, and the cam was geared towards torque, no so much towards economy or speed. That said, I personally found the 3rd gen MDS hemi (06-08) to give the best of both worlds when it came both power and fuel economy. I average 17mpg on 87 through the winter with a very heavy foot, 19mpg in the summer, but when I put the MDS back on with the programmer and run 91 for long trips I've managed 21mpg with a quad cab short-box 4x4.

The 3rd gen rams tend to be less money because the ford has always had a higher resale value based on their known durability. I'm not saying the Dodges are unreliable, I'm just saying that after being the #1 selling truck in north america for 24years, they've got a good thing going on. It will be hard to find a F-150 that's got the club cab and is 4x4, they are not common, so if you particularly NEED the cab room, then you're better off looking at a Ram for those given years. They finally wised up in '07 and started putting longer cabs on the 4x4 frame, but sadly most ended up with the 5'4" bed, which is almost useless if you haul anything large.

I hope this helps.