View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
So does this mean that my truck should be running bad, like misfiring or not starting at all?? I honestly don't have any idea about timing, but I always thought if your timing was bad, your car wouldn't start!

And in referencing to the thermostat, you stay people go with a lower thermostat, most auto part stores have only one thermostat for your vehicle, just depending on preference of brand?!?!
Timing isn't an exact science, so it would depend on the cam, the ecm, and how you degreed the cam.

I use a autozone brand thermostat and it works well. If you're overheating then it can be air in the system which is the most common. In the worse case scenario the block is clogged which happens in vehicles that are old and neglected. Or you can just have a clogged radiator. The two most neglected systems that must be maintained is the the transmission and the cooling system. The cooling system usually doesn't last long especially when you're dealing with weak grounds or an aluminum radiator.

With the cooling system you have so many variables that contribute to cooling failures. It's not simply put antifreeze and water in then that's it, you have to change it out every 2 years for conventional and 4 years for that yellow or orange stuff. But what variables their really are to worry about is the pH of the mixture, the concentration of the mixture, and the amount of current present in the radiator, if you have an aluminum radiator for example and you have a mixture with a low pH then you have a very caustic solution that will eat the radiator from the inside out. Now if you have a solution that has a high current then the cooling system can fall victim to galvanic corrosion basically electrolysis, where one metal will attack a weaker metal.

I always replace the coolant and flush every 2 years regardless of the coolant type, I use conventional because it's cheap and it works. I also use distilled water in the mixture, I usually have more alcohol then water but I won't have to high or low a mixture. Generally I try to maintain 60/40, 70/30 is my max mix.

I do periodic pH checks and voltage checks as well.

I have to be very cautious because my cooling system has many mixed meterials, iron block and heads, aluminum radiator, copper heater core. So on so forth so it's prudent that I make sure that the cooling system doesn't fall victim to electrolysis.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 03-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.