View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Helpful Info trust me!!!

But I have a automatic transmission, those suggestions still apply??

Also, with all this great info, you think these ideas will actually solve the high rpm over heat???

I can cruise all day long, but if I punch it and hit 85+ the gauge will creep over past normal and keep climbing until I slow down, I'm guessing! I'm to scared to see if it would actually over heat as this is my everyday driver and some what of a family vehicle!

Replaced my radiator last weekend...Went with (KOYO) and also flushed the system for 10 minutes
The fan clutch was replaced two weeks ago...went with some Oreilys brand. Was told the belt looks fine...
The T-stat was replaced a year ago, fail safe or not, obviously it's some flow if it cools down after low rpm!
Water pump was replaced a year ago as well by a mechanic.

My next step is the T-stat and water pump because I didn't do it, so maybe it's screw in some way...Idk!!

All I know is that, it doesn't over heat at a stand still, or cruising at normal rpm...only high rpm!!!
The first thing that came to mind about your overheating issue above 85MPH would be the transmission fluid is causing the engine coolant to heat back up, this only applies if you have a transmission cooler in the engine radiator. My engine overheated one time because the transmission fluid got to hot, whenever I see anyone install an external transmission cooler I always tell them other then to make sure the fluid travels against gravity but also to install the cooler on the pressure line, this is so it can cool the fluid down before it enters the stock cooler in the engine radiator. Many race teams have their setups like this, but it's also a good configuration because it allows me to remove the anti-drain back valve without the worry of drain back

The next thing that comes to mind is the water pump is no good, I read somewhere that many of the new chryslers no longer use steel blades in the water pump but use some kind of plastic.