Vehicle: Dodge ram 2002
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Gearhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
The first thing that came to mind about your overheating issue above 85MPH would be the transmission fluid is causing the engine coolant to heat back up, this only applies if you have a transmission cooler in the engine radiator. My engine overheated one time because the transmission fluid got to hot, whenever I see anyone install an external transmission cooler I always tell them other then to make sure the fluid travels against gravity but also to install the cooler on the pressure line, this is so it can cool the fluid down before it enters the stock cooler in the engine radiator. Many race teams have their setups like this, but it's also a good configuration because it allows me to remove the anti-drain back valve without the worry of drain back

The next thing that comes to mind is the water pump is no good, I read somewhere that many of the new chryslers no longer use steel blades in the water pump but use some kind of plastic.
Oh okay, I never seen a transmission cooler, what does it look like? I know their are two condenser looking things that are mounted in front of the radiator, and one of them have two hoses coming from the transmission. Would that be it? if so, what could I do to eliminate this issue?

The water pump is fairly new, but it could be going out do to all the components not working properly allowing over heating issues!! That is actually a NAPA part, I heard NAPA auto parts are the best....

And also to clarify, the water pump does have plastic blades, Chrysler doesn't make them with steel, so you are correct my friend...

Last edited by Gearhead; 03-21-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to add..