View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500
Rep:26
BigRedOne is on a distinguished road

Gunfighter,
You said earlier you were running 285's but listed no second or 3rd #'s so assuming you're currently running 285/75/16's, then the 35's would put you ~10% lower in rpm from where you are now. Any more than that and I think you might be disappointed in the towing performance pulling a 7k lb load. I'm 18% lower in rpm from my 33's and wouldn't be at all happy towing this way. You can always run the mud a gear taller if you're short without topping out (unless you're goin' bonzai!) but being too tall towing puts too much spacing between gears resulting in more frequent up/down shifts, adding to fatigue on long distance tirps which could leave you wrung out once you arrive at your fun spots, to say nothing of the wear and tear on your clutch and drivetrain. Just my humble opinion.

FWIW, I'm contemplating going to 4.88:1 gears after doing the math. This will get me back to where I was w/ the 33's, and in fact I may go one step lower (5.38's I think) depending on how the throttle body and cold air intake do. But this is my ranch truck so my days of running significant highway miles are over.

Last edited by BigRedOne; 03-27-2012 at 11:57 PM.