View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 Ram laramie 2500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brown/Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Hoptoad is on a distinguished road
Default Rattle-Can !

Hey, I love the idea.. and it looks great.. it's cammo.. of course it looks great.. the art of " Rattle-Canning "
I've had some experience in doing this and I always used the Krylon cammo spray paint colors... I did my 92 Toyota.. ( sorry no pics ) about 4 years back... the stuff stays on great and gives a great flat finish.. no glare. I rough sanded the old finish and painted the entire truck the light cream... and then added my pattern/colors as I went... I used actual leaves (some legal.... some not ), branches... and also found that cutting out some stencils out of cardboard for the larger branches, for example gave the pattern more of a 2-D look... sometimes I had to tape them on... and make sure they were fairly flat to the truck to prevent running. Be carefull with the cardboard not to soak it as it will bleed through... one little trick I found for making things stand out is. .. for example.. you just painted a thick brown trunk or branch with a cardboard stencil... let it dry.. and also let the stencil dry... then hold the stencil back up and give one edge of the branch a little Black to create a shadow effect. get creative with the spray pressure and you'll be suprised how much more it'll stand out... I even went as far as taking a small thin brush and drawing a few knots and grain lines here and there.. the shading/shadowing makes a huge difference in my opinion.. even on the leaves .. I also found less is sometimes more on cammo jobs... I'm not a fan of the small tight patterns... I left mine more open and got alot of comments on it... cant wait to see it... good luck... have fun !

Oh, I also did my quad and it turned out great although it didnt stay on as long.. I'll try and round up some pics if I can.... The wheelbarrow looks great as well... hehehe

Last edited by Hoptoad; 03-28-2012 at 01:30 AM.