View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough
Default Someone shoot me...

Alrite it has been a long a painful week for me and i need venting.
i got a rather awesome deal(s) in the last 6 months on car parts, more importantly engine parts to re build my camaro. The build had gone back and forth and back and forth and finally everything had fallen into place.... or so i thought. Most parts were high end LSX stuff that i traded for traditional BBC stuff

The engine was built and was a TT BBC. Roughly 540 cubic inches, twin 98mm Precision turbos, 4speed lenco and all the bells and whistles to go along with them. The whole thing went together as flawlessly as a "custom" turbo engine could.... until we got to the dyno.

From day one it just wasnt wanting to cooperate, which was understandable. It is a beast of an engine and at best was going to be like a sorrority at that time of the month when ALL the girls were on the same "cycle", but after a few hours and not even getting the stupid thing to start, we started to get worried.

Fast forward a few days, it starts and idles and is broken in and ready for the tear down. Get it all apart bearings look good, everything looks good. Reassemble it and throw it back on the dyno.... wont start again.

WE get it started (day 5 on the engine dyno btw) and start making light power pulls. no timing at all on 30psi. awesome runs great. start putting some timing too it, falls on its face. okay no biggie. throw a little more boost and a little more timing, loves it...

over the next few days, everything is going awesome. Yesterday we were making final WOT pulls when disaster struck. Around 7200 RPM there was a problem with the BS3 controller, were talking milliseconds of no communication... and then it happened.... the backfire to end all backfires. We got the engine shut off quickly and initial tear down of the top end revealed no broken parts... but in those last few RPMs that we heard we could hear something not right through the dyno window. Were pretty sure it split the crank in at least 1 place(s). Were waiting till saturday for a full tear down but no one is too optimistic just from past experiences.

Ill get pics this weekend of the damage, but im pretty heart broken lol.

Oh well, on some good news the insurance finally said yes to paying to have my truck fixed so i will have a whole new passangers side and sport mirror soon!!!

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Sponsored links