View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
voisineka is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Replacement - YUCK!!

Ok, so just like 1,000's of Dodge Ram owners who have had their dash boards cracked and ruined from a wide variety of explanations (heat/cold, expansion/contraction, screws too tight, defective plastics, pissed off about something, etc.) I have FINALLY decided to delve into replacing the whole damn thing. For about 7 years I have dealt with bits of dashboard cracking, bouncing around, then falling off. It was about 1 year ago when I just snapped everything off that didn't involve any tools to remove it. Today I made my trip to the auto salvage yard and picked up almost all of the replacement pieces for $75. The only thing I was not able to get was an undamaged dash bezel (surprise, surprise). And while I have the dash torn apart I am going to replace the leaking heater core and a/c evaporator core.

I am not a mechanic but I do consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined (at least to the point where I am willing to try anything once - although sometimes I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not). The removal of the pieces at the salvage yard proved interesting enough, and I can only imagine that it will be exponentially more challenging to put everything back without breaking it.

Having seen and read a number of threads asking about cracked dashes and replacing or repairing or covering them, I figured that I would chronicle my adventure into this uncharted territory (for me anyways). I have included some "before" pictures for your viewing pleasure. For those interested in following along, I will post updates and pictures as the project gets underway. I'm not exactly sure when I will begin, but at the latest I hope it's no farther out than next weekend. Oh, and for the record, I have a 2000 Ram 1500 5.9L Laramie SLT.

To be continued ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Int Driver Side 2.jpg (39.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Int Driver Side.jpg (33.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Int Middle.jpg (40.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Int Passenger Side.jpg (34.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Interior.jpg (41.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Ext Passenger Side.jpg (35.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Exterior Driver Side.jpg (40.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Exterior Middle.jpg (30.3 KB, 97 views)
Sponsored links