View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

I work as a Crew Director for an oilfield environmental company. Basically I coordinate, facilitate, and direct projects. In other industries I would be called a project manager. I work a 7 day on/ 7 day off schedule on a 24 hour rotation. The division I am in cleans drilling mud residue out of the tanks of OSVs or Offshore Support Vessels such as these:

We also clean out dry bulk (cement used for capping wells, etc) tanks on these same vessels, using one of these:

Basically that is a huge vacuum cleaner on wheels.

Due to the hazards associated with the job (extreme heat/ cold, confined space entry, chemicals etc), every so often we have to deal with this:

That last picture is something I fight everyday I go to work with every fiber of my being. Most incidents or injuries can be prevented. When I have to see a scene like that, it is going to be not only a long night, week, month, but potentially a long year as well. I care a great deal about my guys and have only had to deal with a situation like this on my watch once and despite it being a simple heat exhaustion, it was scary enough and I hope to never encounter it again.

Thats a little bit about what I do, I realized that when I replied before to this thread I kind of made a cover statement and never really explained it.