View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

I promised an update this week, so here it is:
I got my motor, mated it up with the trans, and shoehorned it in.

Couple problems though:
1) Going from 04 to 05 was not as simple as I had thought. The underhood harnesses are different for 04 and 05. The harness plug does not match up to the 04. So for those wanting to do the swap, you might want to stick to the same year.

2) The alternator, and AC Compressor do not match up. Kind of a bummer for me, I spent a bit of extra time wiggling around the compressor lines so I didn't have to evac the system, but in the end I'm going to have to do it anyway. So for those that want to do it, just go ahead and evac and remove the compressor.
(sorry no pics of that)
3) Motor mounts: First off, this thing came out of a wrecked truck, so the driver side mount was completely trashed and removed, and the passenger side will be removed, but I took a pic to show that it doesn't quite line up with the mounts on the truck. I thought the 4.7 mounts might be useful, but they don't line up with the HEMI.

I'm not sure if the 05 and the 04 used different mounts for the HEMI, so I'm going to look for the mounts.

And finally, the place that I got my engine from said they had the computer. Then when I went to pick it up, they apparently didn't have either the computer, throttle body, or the MAF sensor(grumble grumble complain). But they did have the wiring harness in tact, so I guess I can thank them for that(usually they just sawzall through it to get it out in a hurry).

So far in this project I'm up to 15 swear words used.