View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
After work yesterday I went down there and filled up with the 91 ethanol free gas. I had 1/4 tank of 10% ethanol 93 octane in the tank. I left it tuned with the 93 tune and kept the radio off, and didn't hear any noise or have any issues on the way home. Either way though, I then tuned to the 91 tune when I got home(I chickened out lol).

I'm going to monitor timing advance at different loads/throttle positions for a while as is, then eventually tune to the 93 tune again on the same 91 fuel and see if it is retarding timing(due to knock). If i can get away with the 93 tune on the 91 octane I'm going to do it. Lower engine temp and colder plugs allow more timing advance, and I have the lower engine temp just need colder plugs(more safety margin). Maybe with that setup I could get away with it. We will see in time...

It's only about 5 miles out of the way form my trip home from work so it works out good. I'm going to start carrying cash though since they utilize the BS cash/credit pricing and charge $4.35/gal for credit instead of $4.30/gal like they do for cash. Considering I was paying basically the same price for 10% ethanol 93 octane, I'm happy with this.

They also have E85. Not that I'd use it but it's just neat they have a lot of different fuels there. The 91 ethanol free was a blue pump/hose and said "MARINE ETHANOL FREE 91 OCTANE FUEL" in huge letters. If anyone asks I'll tell them my truck doubles as a boat.
Lol it's heavy enough...

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people