Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500 4X2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
Krooser is on a distinguished road
Default I think I just got Fram'd.....

I have a '97 1500 2WD... old truck that Ive owned for about a year.

The PO wasn't very good on maintenance from what I can see... lots of stuff boogered up or just plain ignored.... dirty oil, lack of suspension lube. This guy was a mechanic (or so he sez) so that may be part of the problem!

Anywho... I have driven this 235K truck about 8,000 miles since I bought it... and it has been bulletproof for the most part. I've done about 5 oil changes on it since I'm trying to get the engine a little cleaner to clear up a lifter tick... and that seems to have worked... the engine is now very quiet.

The last time I did an oil change, maybe December, I found an old Fram oil filter sitting on the back of a shelf that I didn't know I had.. I'm no fan of Fram but I have used many in the past without any issues. I had two new NAPA Gold's on the shelf, too but I thought I'd use the Fram, just to get it out of my hair.

So I changed the oil, screwed on the Fram, replacing a MOPAR filter, and filled the pan with fresh 15W40 diesel oil that I buy from my local fram store (made by CITGO).

Tonite I was in my shop finishing a total ball joint replacement deal that's been on the sidelines now for about 3 weeks. I got as far as I could but decided, at the last moment, to drain the oil overnight and finish up everything in the AM.

To my surprise, I dumped the oil and it came out COPPER color... well, actually black with TONS of copper in the oil. Never had any metal in the oil that I could see before....

Things don't look too encouraging right now!

Last edited by Krooser; 04-09-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored links