View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddenton View Post
I'll go through the complete adjustment process. I have also read about the govenor pressure solenoid going bad and causing the 1-2 shift to be delayed or hunt back and forth. This truck has the 46RE transmission.
That is true a faulty gov solenoid can cause erratic 1-2 up shifts and 2-1 downshifts. However usually if the gov sensor is faulty you will have erratic shifts in all gears, sometimes it's the 1-2 shift solenoid that will cause issues, I am so use to the RH series because they have only 2 solenoids at most one for OD and one for TC and having very little electronics is not only cheaper to repair but easier to diagnose because those sensors are often faulty out of the box.

Anyway's just try giving that cable an adjustment, that cable acuates a lever on the transmission which moves a throttle valve in the valve body controlling line pressure, sometimes when it's out of adjustment you can have some funky 1-2 ups and 2-1 downs and of course 3-2 downs and 2-3 ups. Generally if the cable is adjusted tight then you will have higher rpm upshifts that are firmer which will be easier on the clutches. If you loosen the adjustment you will have early upshifts that are very soft and will result in clutch wear. If you do any kind of towing, racing, or just want acceleration try adjust the cable tighter, if you want to use it for regular driving then adjust it so the cable isn't to tight but is still tought. Please know that if you adjust it for higher rpm upshifts it is going to be somewhat difficult to maintain the vehicles speed when it is below 55.

If you have the cable adjusted for redline shifts if you are going about 35 MPH and you put the pedal to the metal then the transmission will actually downshift into 1st gear rev to redline then upshift to 2nd and the truck will take off like a rocket from there.