Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
No, the 4.7Ls are affected, too.

But as I've pointed out, this is only a noise issue, not a durability issue. The problem is rattle of the turbine hub spline when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully applied. Splines with too much clearance (backlash) can exhibit a "warble" noise (which I think has been best described as sounding like a Frisbee sliding across smooth concrete). The spline clearance will vary from converter to converter (due to manufacturing tolerances), so some are quiet and some make noise.

So if you get the noise and it annoys you, get the converter replaced. But if you have to really listen carefully to hear the noise, or aren't sure you even have it, then you don't have to replace the converter. It is not going to self-destruct prematurely!
Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.