Thread: T/C question
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.
I would not expect any contamination issues. This spline does not get "ground down" in operation. If anything, there may be a slight increase in backlash (and thus, some increase in noise level) as the first few teeth that come into contact get peened down. But once the load is spread over more teeth, I would not expect any progression in spline wear (or further increase in noise).

We are not talking huge amounts of backlash here. We have found detectable noise with as little as .004 inch of backlash. That's why we went to a riveted design for 2012 MY - it eliminates the backlash altogether.