Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
JoeMamma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5500 View Post
Thanks guys.
Do either of you notice the raer axle offset to one side or another? A lot of folks lowering late model Rams have found the axle shifts to the passenger side and the right rear wheel stciks out a little fasrther than the left. Trying to see if this is a problem with MGH kits.

Ed
Hi Ed 5500,

After going through a lot of confusion with the different brands of available lowering kits, I crawled under my 2012 Ram to see what was really needed. After taking dimensions of the rear track bar and sway bar at curb height (normal riding height) and then correlating the dimensions on paper if adding a 4-inch drop, I was able to see both the original track bar and sway bar should be relocated.

Any vehicle (including the Ram) that is equipped with coil springs and that also uses a solid one piece axle assembly, whether the axle be located in either the front or rear end of the vehicle, will be equipped with a side mounted track bar and a set of front-to-rear track bars.

The design of any side mounted track bar will inherently move the axle slightly to the left and right as the axle moves up and down. This is happening as the track bar is moving (swinging) up and down through its radius.

At curb height (normal riding height) the position of an original side mounted track bar is usually designed to be at or near a horizontal plane. This is the main reason I went with the Mcgaughy’s #44050 kit.

When doing a 4 inch lowering, the Mcgaughy’s track bar relocation bracket is designed to keep the left/right axle positions very close to the designed original stock horizontal positions as the track bar is swinging up and down through its radius. This means the rear axle assembly will still be pulled slightly to the right as with the Rams stock rear axle configuration, but the amount of this movement is almost unnoticeable and mostly un-measureable.

If you were to lower your Ram a full 4 inches without the use of a track bar relocating bracket, then yes, it will pull the axle a noticeable amount slightly to the right side when your Ram is sitting at curb height. This is because the original track bars horizontal position has been changed. Because the track bar position has now moved past its center horizontal position and is now moving upward and through its radius, the rear axle will want to move (pull) towards the right.

To jlibert: You mentioned you had your Ram realigned. Were they able to return the front end alignment to its stock, original alignment specs ? Any chance you asked them to record the before and after alignment specs ? I still haven’t taken mine in for an alignment, so I’m just curious if the original specs can be obtained after installing the new Mcgaughy’s steering knuckles.

Joe M.