View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Scipione View Post
I just finished my annual spring cleaning polish / wax.

I was surprised when I had the surface polished to find that there are quite a few spots on the hood and roof that are etched in the clear coat.

I wash my truck EVERY Sunday, without fail.
If a bird poops on it I wash it off immediately.
Large bugs on the front end are also dealt with on a daily basis, every afternoon once I get it back into the garage.

The clear coat doesn't seem terribly soft, I just polished with an LC Orange pad and M83 and it barely touched the finer scratches, so it must be a pretty hard coat.

What could be causing this etching? and how can I prevent it?

The truck is only 1 year old now but I am guessing I will need to have the hood/roof repainted in anothr 5 years if I can't stop this from happening!
The first thing to note, is that M83 is a light to medium cut polish. In all honesty, to cut through etching [which is always surprisingly deep], you will probably need a compound. M105 or D300 [Megs Microfiber DA polishing system polish] are great options. I use M105 a lot and follow it up with M205, a finishing polish that can actually cut as well as M83 but finish better.

Water etching is a huge culprit. Even if it is not raining, sprinkler water, sap, dripping water, etc can be very caustic and will eat through the clear coat. I would suggest regular waxing to help prevent the etching, but you may need a stronger polish to eliminate the etching.

And Jay and I are always on the same page, he does know his stuff. I seal my paint, and add a wax when I refresh the paint, and after I wash [with Optimum car wash] I use a quick detailer to aid in the drying process which helps not leave spots, adds lubricity, and adds gloss.