Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Custom Truggy
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:39
Rook is on a distinguished road

I got the spindle nut socket this afternoon! Started tearing into the Rocks within about 15 minutes... LOL

I have fairly meaty mits, so when I bought the Rocks, even though I checked and was promised that both axles had Spicer style shafts, I wasn't 100% sure on one of them.

The first actually has the "Rockwell-Standard" tag and Rockwell logos in the casting on the drums and chunk, so no questions about that axle. However, the second axle and oddly the cleaner of the two actually had what look like Timken logos on the castings. The shafts put in the Duece and a Half axles when the company was "Timken" are not desirable. For peace of mind that is the axle I am tearing into first and plan to do the most work on. As many times as I stuck my fingers in this one, I just couldn't get them in deep enough for this one to give up it's secrets. The seller claimed he bought this axle and brought it home in a box as a fresh rebuilder in '96, so it should not have the undesirable Rezepa or Bendix joints. He never got it under a vehicle and decided to sell after it sat around for 15 years... I guess we'll see.

Started by debraking.

And now for the moment of truth....

Drum roll.....

Relief!

I'll be flipping everything on this axle for use on the rear. Both have mohawks waiting... hope to get that far by the end of the weekend.

Oh, for you armchair mechanics... don't get too down on yourselves. I'm an Industrial Engineer, so this stuff wasn't encoded into my genome or anything like that.