Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

If you only want to do it a couple of times a year go for the synthetic sealant and wax. It lasts longer than natural carnauba. You need shade or a cloudy day, don't wax in the sunshine. Clay bar is a good idea, I just did my new truck (only has 400 miles) and removed a fair amount of crap like rail dust from roof and hood, not much on sides. I use a synthetic paint sealant (Klasse) after the clay bar. Just use an old cotton sock and put it on thin, a little goes a long way. Do the whole truck, paint, black plastic, chrome, everything. You can let it dry completely. Then just wipe off residue with a microfiber. Then get a good wax, I use Collinite 476. Do only one panel at a time, put it on very thin with an applicator pad and do not let it dry, buff it off when it hazes which it will do almost right away. Do the chrome too. You can do the black plastic with this stuff, but buff off immediately. Remember, thin coat! If you leave a white wax ridge at a gap or emblem you are using too much wax! Then you are good to go for 6 months or more. Stay out of carwashes that have touch brushes, they will give you swirl marks. Only go thru touchless washes, and don't get the cheapo wax, it will screw up your good wax job.