View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Green and Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:14
81X11 is on a distinguished road
Default Crappy Dash Plastic!!!!

So I went to remove my dash bezel around the gauges last night on my '98 Ram. Needed to get the number off the radio so I can look for a replacement. My upper dash is cracked, but the gauge bezel was not....well it is now...

I did not break it taking it off, was super careful. I was putting it back on and lightly pushing below the radio and suddenly a crack appeared in the upper right corner. Amazing, was not touching anywhere near there! I was not twisting the bezel or anything!

It gets better...I was just SICK that it cracked, especially since my truck has the nice wood-faced bezel and they are harder to find. I pulled the bezel back off and attempted to epoxy the crack from the backside and while pressing the crack together while the epoxy bonded, another crack appeared below my hand! I WAS NOT pressing hard! What are these, made of thin glass???

I gotta say I took the face bezels on and off of my 90's era Suburbans numerous times, have owned three Burbs, and NEVER had something like this happen. Was GM's plastic that much better than Chrysler's???

I got the bezel back on and the carpet cover hides most of the crack, but still, this just makes me so mad. That is the crappiest plastic I've ever dealt with.

Rant over.

-Mike
Sponsored links