Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
DrumMedic is on a distinguished road

My departments are kind of unique I think ...

I work for an ambulance service as a Paramedic / Lieutenant with over 12 years of EMS experience. Our primary obligation is 24/7 ALS EMS coverage.

Within the past year, my EMS service placed an ambulance in the local volunteer fire department and we staff it on daylight shift due to lack of volunteer response. The EMS personnel are obviously cross-trained in fire and rescue. That specific ambulance has a set of rescue tools, cribbing, farm jacks, SCBA's, etc. That station also has an engine. So, if the incident is fire related, the crew staffs the engine. If there is a medical call that they are closer to than our main station or if it is a vehicle accident, they staff the ambulance.

So far the system is working good for our area since, as we all know, volunteerism is unfortunately going out the window.

Outside of the affiliation with the ambulance service, I am also the assistant EMS coordinator and safety officer for the fire department.

But back to the EMS side ... We are a privately operated non-profit with 6 ambulances, 3 squads, a support vehicle, the MERV (see below), an ATV, and 3 boats. We have a Search Team with dogs, a Water Rescue team, and an active Support/Firefighter Rehab division. We recently began training to develop a Tactical EMS team.

Last summer, our service received a Mass Evacuation and Rehab bus built by Sartin Services in North Carolina. The "MERV" is capable of transporting 18 bed-confined patients, or 24 seated patients at one time. We have wireless EKG/vital sign monitoring so that all patients can be monitored from the command area while moving. The vehicle also can function to provide large scale firefighter rehab at larger incidents. Among many others things. The basic concept for the vehicle as far as mass transport has been around for a while, but our specific vehicle with all of the diverse functions was designed in house by our chief and some of our members. We are very happy with the truck and has served us well already.

Last edited by DrumMedic; 04-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.