Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
DrumMedic is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to try other dispatch centers and push your experience ... maybe you can slide into a supervisory position somewhere.

Otherwise, I would probably shoot for a new career path. Unfortunately, as necessary as public safety is, there isn't a lot of money to be made in it, especially in my area. I am going on my 13th year in EMS and I am making the same money now as I did 5 years ago (different services). I dispatched before also, and the pay scale is all around the same. As a paramedic, I don't think I would re-do it if given the opportunity.

I was working 80+ hours a week at one point to be comfortable. Then I decided, enough is enough. I figured I could continue doing what I was doing, and maybe someday luck into a good job. Or, I could go to college and try to change my career. So ... in May of 2010 I started college at age 26. Now, in December (I'll be 29), I will graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Biology and will be starting medical school after that. Now, I know that without my EMS experience, it never would have led me down the path to want to be a doctor, so I guess I can't fault it entirely ... but I have learned that after 12+ years ... it is still the same old job. I will always have a passion for it, but it is just that ... a passion. It isn't a career ... IMO anyway.

Good luck in your decision. It certainly isn't an easy one.