Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
IH Scout Driver is on a distinguished road

Be sure you get the full winterization package for your rig (battery pad, oil pan pad, block heater, winter front, synthetic oils). I live in Fairbanks (been here for over 6 years now). I've had a power steering pump freeze solid in the past (bad fluid was the cause). My diesels seem to do just fine over the past couple years.

The local dealer can be considered a joke at times. Some people have more luck than others. The next closest dealer is in Anchorage and some claim they aren't much better then the Fairbanks dealer. No other dealers in the state that I'm aware of.

I know several people that have Rams locally and no one has reported major issues that I'm aware of. If you plug in when it gets below -20*F on a timer and you'll be fine.

Good luck on your degree, UAF is a good school.

Edit - I looked to where you are living now; I have family in that general area. You'll enjoy the drive North.

Also, the remarks by Stump3r are spot on concerning the antifreeze mix. You want a good winter mix for this far North. You'll get used to the dry snow fairly quickly; it's not like what you're getting off Lake Michigan.

Last edited by IH Scout Driver; 05-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.