View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH View Post
Has anyone put E85 Flex Fuel in their Ram?

I'm playing with the idea with the price of gas the way it is. It's 50 cents cheaper a gallon here in Ohio.

I've heard that the mileage and performance drops though and that in the long run you don't save a dime...

Just curious....

Thanks
I was thinking about it but it' not a good idea especially since you have to modify the vehicle a bit.

Here are modifications that need to be done and it's expensive.
1. Need to change the fuel pump so it can handle Ethanol, Ethanol isn't die-electric like gasoline so if you put it in a vehicle that doesn't have a designed fuel system for ethanol then you risk igniting the gasoline.
2. You need to change the fuel lines to handle ethanol
3. The A/F ratio for ethanol is slightly higher then that of gasoline so you need to program the ECM for ethanol
4. You don't get better MPG so if you do the math the cost in terms of MPG and distance traveled is going to balance out. The implimentation of ethanol was to reduce emissions, not save money (damn government).

I personally was trying to find gasoline alternatives that are extremely cheap but so far I haven't come up with anything solid enough, I also would need to test it and put my life at risk doing it but hey if it costs 10 cents I'm wearing one of those lava suits :P