View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I was thinking about it but it' not a good idea especially since you have to modify the vehicle a bit.

Here are modifications that need to be done and it's expensive.
1. Need to change the fuel pump so it can handle Ethanol, Ethanol isn't die-electric like gasoline so if you put it in a vehicle that doesn't have a designed fuel system for ethanol then you risk igniting the gasoline.
2. You need to change the fuel lines to handle ethanol
3. The A/F ratio for ethanol is slightly higher then that of gasoline so you need to program the ECM for ethanol
4. You don't get better MPG so if you do the math the cost in terms of MPG and distance traveled is going to balance out. The implimentation of ethanol was to reduce emissions, not save money (damn government).

I personally was trying to find gasoline alternatives that are extremely cheap but so far I haven't come up with anything solid enough, I also would need to test it and put my life at risk doing it but hey if it costs 10 cents I'm wearing one of those lava suits :P
I run E85 regularly in the city in my 09. Anything 4.7 thats 08 or newer is factory equipped to run ethanol with no modifications.

I actually notice a slight power boost on E85. Truck drives differently. Its weird. 9-10mpg city isnt cool, but as long as city driving is all we are doing that week it doesn't really matter, not much difference between 9 and 14mpg, especially when you consider I have to fill up weekly, regardless, and the price is significantly cheaper where I am.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...