View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprevette View Post
so i was talking to a "mopar expert" and we where talking about computers. he told me that i could use a computer off of a 360 on my 318 and it would work better than the performance one from mopar. has anybody tried this or know of anybody that did?
The 360 ECM will work on the 318 provided you are using a ECM from the same generation. Now in terms of performance you will have a benefit because of the fuel map and the cam that is in the 5.9L, the 5.2L cam is better in terms of lift but the 5.9L has better duration. The MP ECM is the best choice because it's completely unlocked you can program the hell out of it, a stock 360 ECM has restrictions. Not saying you cannot program a stock 360 ECM but the performance one isn't going to limit you quite as much. The thing about the ECM is the EPROM holds the calibration so provided you can remove the chip and write programs you can modifiy the stock ECM but it's just not very practical.

The worst part about the ECM is you can spend thousands on the engine but you won't take full advantage with the stock ECM that's speaking if the ECM accepts what you do to the engine.