View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminor View Post
You're not the first person I've heard swear by the Bilsteins. It's good to hear that they perform fair enough off road as well, because occasionally my buddies and I will hit a mud hole or two, and they're usually not easy to get to. But, what can you tell me about monotube shocks. The most popular ones I've seen are the Rancho RS9000XL's and the new Skyjacker M95s--do you know if either of those are suitable for a mainly on-road but sometimes off-road truck?
I use Gabriels because I can't afford the bilsteins but I have seen there design and they're amazing. But to answer your primary question, the benefit of a monotube is that it is a two piston design which will give you a stiffer ride, another thing is you can mount them upside down to increase load capacity. Ther're like everything are disadvantages, for example there is no external buffer so they can get damage very easily, also they may not always fit because they are usually very long.
The benefits are really that they are designed for off road use and because they're stiffer when you hit pavement you're going to feel alot of road imperfections because there won't be much reverb, actually none at all.

Now the reason bilstein dual tube's perform well on and off road is because of how they pressurized the tube to I believe it's 350 PSI but don't hold me to that.

In terms of brand comparison for pavement use

Gabriel: Last very long, give decent ride comfort.
Monroe: Don't last long at all, give you the best ride comfort
Bilsteins: Last long, great comfort
of course more brands but I don't get to involved in the off-road brands. I stick with the real major brands.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 05-02-2012 at 10:29 PM.