Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I love the Carbon fiber interior pieces. I found a local supplier of the Dinoc, but have a question. It comes in 48" width. How much did you need to do the whole interior like that? The local guy sells it only by the yard.
I would think that would be plenty to get it done.

I bought mine from Amazon. They sell 1 ft wide and 4 ft long for $30.

I can't remember how much it took me before I finished but be prepared to redo some parts a few times.

Some problem areas are the inside corners around the vents and the inside corners around the steering wheel buttons.

After my first attempt on the steering wheel trim the buttons were rubbing in the corners. To resolve this you need to heat / pull & stretch (gently) the vinyl in those areas.
If the vinyl in those areas is not fatigued this way it will want to lift up and revert to it's original shape (flat)

Start with the small stuff to get a feel of how this stuff responds to heat and pulling and stretching.
The upper console section will be a challenge, so save it for last after you
have a good feel for the material.

When you start to wrap that large curved bend at the top you WILL have 100 wrinkles. DONT PANIC!
Just slowly heat, stretch and smooth it down a little at a time.
If you mess up you can heat, peel back a little bit and try again.

It is also a good idea to test how it will respond to heat once you have it applied.
With a hair dryer or heat gun heat up some of those problem spots and see what they do.
If it starts to lift away from the bezel you haven't fatigued the vinyl sufficiently.

At the beginning be prepared to get into your truck one summer afternoon and find it has done something crazy, it happened to me twice!

Overall though I highly recommend this mod if you have the patience for it.
You can't get 3D molded pieces in Carbon Fiber and the "fake" Carbon fiber stuff looks awful.
This stuff refracts light just like the real stuff, it has a texture to it, it looks outstanding and start to finish it only cost me about $100.

Good Luck!

Last edited by M.Scipione; 05-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.