Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Hey, edd5, I'm assuming you are referring to me?
Here's what I found with my Bakflip: it is very easy to get a coat-hanger under the rear seal, and then "hook" the release cable. I fixed that issue by running an airline cable inside the square tube that runs the width of the cover. I then secured each side of the cable to the "hooks" in the bed. No way in hell anyone could get in at that point (at least not without doing a lot of damage.)
Another thing I found with the Bakflip is the cover can be shimmied left to right, which means the cover could be opened if the locking pins don't "catch" enough. My OEM cover cannot be moved left to right whatsoever!

I'm not bashing the Bakflip cover, I'm just telling you the experience I had with the cover. I don't feel the cover is worth the money I spent. Although the idea of a cover "folding" onto itself is good, I didn't like how the rubber strip started to show wear, and this wasn't that long after I installed the cover. And I also did not like that the cover has to rest against the rear window in a fully-opened position.

The OEM is not without issues either. I think it would be easy for someone to get into this cover (from the center of the cover, where it does not lock.)
Some valid points to be sure. If you were going to use a coathanger to hook the release cable you would have to know where it is or spend some time fishing. My cover won't move side to side at all when closed and even if it did the fit is close enough (I have a rambox bed) where you couldn't clear one side of the latch. Bottom line, if someone wants to get into your bed they will probably use a pry bar or tire iron anyways and no cover is going to stand up to that. I sure do like the ease of folding it back though and it looks really nice since its a flush fit with the tops of the ramboxes. To each his own.