Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd5 View Post
Some valid points to be sure. If you were going to use a coathanger to hook the release cable you would have to know where it is or spend some time fishing. My cover won't move side to side at all when closed and even if it did the fit is close enough (I have a rambox bed) where you couldn't clear one side of the latch. Bottom line, if someone wants to get into your bed they will probably use a pry bar or tire iron anyways and no cover is going to stand up to that. I sure do like the ease of folding it back though and it looks really nice since its a flush fit with the tops of the ramboxes. To each his own.
To each his own.
For sure! Since I've had both the Bakflip and the OEM cover, I was hoping my opinion might help someone decide. Each has its good and bad points. And, you are correct, if somebody wants in bad enough all they have to do is destroy the cover. But most thieves would rather not attract attention, so it's a safer bet to assume s/he would try to get in the easiest and quietest way possible.
It's pretty easy for a thief to go to their local mod shop and review how all the different tops open. Once they are armed with the knowledge, getting in to one or more covers would be a breeze.
I still like how I was able to secure the Bakflip with the cable. Downside to that was every time I needed to open the cover I had to remove the cable. Since I rarely kept anything too valuable in the box, I seldom used the cable. But it was a nice to have piece of security.