Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
sasquatchram is on a distinguished road

So I gathered all the miscellaneous parts and began the tear down last night. Pulled the intake this morning and was surprised it had the center divider being that the truck is a 98. The gasket was toast and the inside of the keg looked more like the inside of a valve cover. Used a sawzall, grinder, dremel and other tools to remove the center plate and I polished/ smoothed the runners. I decided not do do the full mod after reading a good article about it where they had the dyno chart and showed the off idle torque was lower after the mod and 3000+ rpm was where the gain was. Since I do most of my driving between 800 and 2000 rpm why move the powerband up? replaced the valve cover gaskets since it was all nice and open, installed a new 180 deg thermostat. Did the throttle body mod and put it all back together. Fired up first crank and the idle settled in @ 1100 and kind of rough (WTF????). Got out the carb cleaner and found a vacuum leak on injectors # 5&7. Went down a got an injector seal kit, replaced all 8 and still have issues at 5 & 7.

All looks good but it is a bit frustrating, any ideas?