Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

The decision has been made. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

The weight restrictions of my Longhorn are too low (IMHO) for this trailer. Information received in other forum have indicated that there is a very narrow margin to being under limit, but any weight added to the the unit would move this margin to grossly overweight very quickly, therefore I feel I have to pass on this opportunity.

I encourage people who read threads like this to leave constructive comments, they help people like me make informed decisions for their problems. Who better to ask than those who own, been there and done that. You never know, it might be you looking for an answer one day.

Rant of the day...
One piece of advise for those looking for a 3500 vehicle to haul heavy weight. Thoroughly read the specs of the truck you intend to buy, don't listen to hype on what a lesser model will do from your sales rep unless he has personally been raised on a farm and hauled livestock. Your Sales reps assurances does not enhance or improve the manufacturers set restrictions. Insist on minium 4.10 Diff and don't buckle from that. Then go with a single cab, long box, dually, 2x4, no extras. It's the one that's advertised on TV as having the best tow capability. (Check the specs)

Rant of the past week
Even though I love my truck, through the research I've done, I feel like I've bought a glorified 1500 (as far as restrictions go).

I am sure some of you are shaking your heads and are saying IDIOT!! Lock on and go!!! I can say this to you, as a warranty manager for many years, if your vehicle is under warranty and I can prove neglect (being just one of the restrictions mentioned in this thread exceeded) caused the failure, I can legally say you have no warranty. Else, if you have insurance (and I hope you do), have an accident and neglect can be proven (any of the same restrictions exceeded), you will most likely not have insurance cover any of the damage/injury or loss of life.

I just ask that you think about this.

With kindest regard,

Pte Jack