Vehicle: 2011 1500 Bighorn crew 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RogueRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Update: As I indicated in another thread, I tested both with and without the center channel speaker. But first, a little background as to why. In my opinion, a center channel speaker is beneficial in two scenarios: Cinema/DVD audio or regular music, but in both instances the center has to have DSP to provide just a touch of spatial imaging.

The Alpine center channel though is not DSP modified, but rather a crossed over and combined signal from the left and right channels. This might be better if it was also a speaker rated at a much higher ohm resistance to reduce its volume, but instead it's the same as the dash speakers. The result is an overly loud presence that diminishes the width of the sound stage. My JL Audio C2-350x center channel speaker actually made this situation a little worse.

By removing the center channel altogether, the width of the sound now goes from door to door. Further the newly added tweeters, combined with the reflective property of the windshield, make it so there are no gaps in the sound. In other words, it's like the entire dash is like one big stage where as before, my ears would go to the dead center and stay there.
So you just removed or disconnected the center speaker entirely?

I am definitely going to copy you and put those JL dash speakers in. Nice that the grills pop right out.

Are the factory front door speakers low frequecy only? At low volume virtually no sound comes out of my front doors. At mid to high volume I do get low frequency, but no mid and no highs. Is this normal?

Overall I think this 10 speaker Alpine system in my Ram is ok at best. I was expecting a lot better sound.