View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dirtsurferus is on a distinguished road

wow. yea i just got off the phone with aamco and they said that the range for a complete rebuild is 1300-2200. there is no way that i am going to rebuild this shitty dodge tranny...i love dodge but their transmissions are terrible....when i can buy a completly new transmission for less than 1500. O yea...i just replaced the gov press solenoid and tran speed sensor..it made it worse. If i were to buy a manual would it bolt right up besides having to add the clutch pedal and everything accompanying that? cause i had a buddy tell me that i would have to buy a bell housing and then rig the shit out of it. The reason is i found a 5 spd transmission at a junk yard from a 97 1500 w/5.9L gas engine rebuilt with 1k miles on it for 800 w/300 core fee.

I had the same problem with the magnet. there were no large chunks but TONS of shavings. so many shavings that it created a paste around the magnet. when i pulled out the speed sensor and replaced it there were a ton of shavings on the end of that too.