View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Lately I was smelling something I thought was an electrical short, the fumes were overwelming inside the cab, either the ac on or off... Well I smelled it outside the truck and started investigating and after driving today with the ac off and windows down ( since it was cooler out ) I could smell it again. I got back and popped the hood, there was a slight stream of smoke comming off the back of the compressor pulley, since I didnt use the ac It wouldnt be electrical so I assume its smells more like brake pad kinda smell so I assume the compressor clutch is sticking or something? What should I do to save it ? I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner all over the pulley/clutch to clean out any debris, should I spray some dry silicone or WD40 into it? The ac works great, I just dont want to lose it. Thanks.
You might need to take apart the clutch assembly if it's locked up. I wouldn't put WD-40 on it, it may catch on fire then from heat. Try some kind of PTFE type lube.