Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymopar View Post
Any updates on this, mine seems to do the same thing as the OP. When I start it in the morning it doesn't seem to be a tick. I drop it in drive and it starts to tick, seems to go away in a few minutes. The only mod is a Catch Can which I don't think affects anything.
I love the truck and otherwise its perfect, just kind of annoying. My old Yukon was quiet and only started getting a lifter tick until it was warmed up after it had 200,000 miles on the clock.

Should I bother taking it to the dealer or does this sound like a normal Hemi thing?
johnnymopar-

I'm the OP and my truck to this day still does it. I've never taken the truck in for this reason and has never gotten worse. In fact, with the warmer weather, the in-gear ticking is less audible. But, yes, I agree with you, it is annoying and like you, never had any of my other vehicles do this.

It's weird that the ticking occurs when truck is in gear though. Makes you wonder if it is transmission related. I have heard of other owners with the same symptoms (in gear only) and never heard of a diagnosis as of yet.

I would bring mine in for a fix if there where one, but I am not about to take the truck in only to get it back with dealer saying they couldn't find anything wrong. Besides, if I brought the truck in for every noise I heard, clunk, squeak, or rattle, the truck would be at the dealership every other week.

In my case, I purchased the extended warranty so if something blows up in the near future, I'll let Chrysler pay the bill.

In answer to your question: It's up to you if you should bring the truck in. If it bothers you to a point your thinking about it too much and you have the time, take it in. But, as I said earlier, mine has been doing it for over a year now and has never gotten worse and with summer coming it will be less audible for sure.