Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
itsreese is on a distinguished road

Glad you enjoyed the trip!
I have an 11 Outdoorsman and i have a toyahuler/travel trailer, thats total weight is 9800 lbs (full of gear) 6000 lbs empty. I use a WD hitch and she has no problems. That hemi will pull WAY more than what you are rated for, its your transmission that cant handle it, mixed with your GCVW of a standard cab, and the fact that you probably only have the 3.55 gears.

bottom line, keep an eye on that trans oil temp and rpms and youre fine. as far as your MPGeees, welcome to the hemi. she has balls for days, but wont go into MDS while towing, so she uses all 380 HP.. all day. I have towed a Jayco Jayflight at 4600 lbs, and a 95 camaro on a flatbed and any time i towed either i was hard pressed to get 13mpg.. downhill with the wind at my back. i usually get 10-12 towing.

and lastly i d like to second RESCUE1 on the cummins angle. unless you tow every day. its a money pit. go to ramtrucks.com... the 2500 cummins is only rated to tow 13000 lbs, 3K more than the hemi, the 3500 is rated at 16K i think. thats not a lot ox extra capacity for increased maintenance, increased fuel prices, and a 7K whopper of an engine option. go 2500 if you need increaded bed payload capacity (fifth wheel) or if you tow every day. the cummins unloaded doesnt even get that much better mpg than the hemi on the highway daily. loaded is where she has a benefit when i get 10mpg a cummins will get over 16 loaded up.