Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
j6harris is on a distinguished road

well heres what i came up with .
i tried 3 different types of gas, all 3 were from bp .
89 , 93, and non oxygenated 91

89- the gas mileage is ok, the throttle response is best at low to medium speeds/rpm no load just normal putzing around neighborhood kinda driving or freeway on ramp type area ... anywhere you'd keep the pedal at 3/4 or less it shines , 89 is what the factory recommends but it lacks the full throttle go and mileage of 91 or 93.

non oygenated 91- it lasted forever.. almost 2 weeks on what a tank of 93 oxygenated going the same places would last me in 1 week.. the only problem with that was i couldnt wait to get it out of my tank. there was almost no throttle response. seemed like i could only go all or nothing, it was fine idiling around at low speeds/rpm except when it came to normal driving conditions like accelerating from stop lights and freeway entrances it was very sluggish like i was using syrup for gas but when i opened it up it went like a raped ape! .. that part was nice but i do a good amount of normal driving so this one wasnt for me. plus i hear its more corrosive than oxygenated gas.

93- 93 is what i've been using for a few years now on the 5.7 hemi. the down sides are its more expensive and the low end throttle response isnt as good as with 89 but that is just barely noticable. the gas mileage is a noticable amount better, lasted me 2 days longer than 89 did going to the same places. when you put the pedal to the medal with 93 it goes! i've never felt a vehicle accelerate like this one, it seems like the power curve doesnt curve it just rises.. its nice, fun to drive and i like how it pushes you harder into the seat the longer you've been on the gas.

so.. i decided i'm sticking with my 93 because it suits my driving habits better, i like to open it up from time to time and i have bragging rights to uphold at work when all my chevy and ford loving buddies want to eat some dust i'll be there to serve it to them with that extra ooomph i get from 93, but all around i guess the octane rating really depends on how and where you drive, personally if you do a lot of towing or hauling or friendly races to make your buddies cry i would recommend using a higher octane because it really makes a difference in power when you add more throttle but i'm no expert..
i have a buddy at work that also has a 2012 ram thats been using 87, he doesnt mind it but i dont think he cares or pays attention to the little details in things like i do, after i talked to him about octane he did put a tank of 89 in though haha, i'll have to see if its noticeably different or not especially when he's towing his boat
... my only question now is what will the different octanes do to an engine over time, it would be nice to know how much carbon buildup/ deposits changes between octanes and if certain engine wear patterns or damage occurs between octanes....