Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Avoid Ebay E-Cutouts at all cost!!!!!

So I have learned an improtant lesson over the last few weeks. Absolutlely avoid the electric cutouts sold on ebay. When I had my cam, tune and exhaust work done recently I had a butterfly type e-cutout that I picked up on ebay installed. Well initial impressions were that it looked really nice being made out of all polished stainless pieces. Well that is the end of the good right there. From day one it always seemed to have a leaky sound when the cutout was fully closed. the butterfly valve did not seal well at all. Next after 2 weeks one of the soddered connections on the back side of the toggle switch decided to spontaneously free itself (the wire broke in half at the sodder joint). So I resoddered it. Within a day after that the motor on the e cutout completely failed. WTF!!!!!! Not onlty did it fail, but it failed in such a manner as to allow the butterfly valve to partially open. So I had neither a fully closed system or completely open system, just a raspy leaky sounding truck. So on wednesday I did what I should have done in the first place and ordered an electric cutout designed by Doug's Headers for Jeg's. Their customer service was fantastic! Ordered Wednesday and with the basic ground shipping it made it from Ohio to Texas by Friday morning. So I spent this evening crawling around under my truck in the garage changing out a 3 week old part with a quality built one. On a positive note, at least the new cutout bolted right up to the flange on the welded in y-pipe from the ebay setup. Getting wrenches on and around the 3 bolts on this system proved to bee a nightmare and took me way longer than I expected. Reran all of the wiring and installed the much better toggle switch. Oh, and one of the wire from the ebay setup was touching part of the exhaust system. Already burned through part of the black insullation. The red and black wire were still fine at the moment, but if the motor hadn't kicked it I'm sure the wire would have pretty quick. I, using my rational reasoning skills, decided to run the wiring up under the heat shield that runs above the exhaust system. No more touching wires to exhaust! I swear if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

A little info on my new e-cutout....

These cut-outs feature a rugged gear reduction 12 volt DC motor and a rotating gate for a leak proof seal every time the cut-out is opened and closed. Unlike butterfly style cut-outs the Dougís cut-outs donít have the leaky gasket sound and when fully opened there is no exhaust flow obstructions. A pre-wired harness with an illuminated rocker switch is supplied for easy installation. Un-cork your exhaust with the flip of a switch from you dash.

Please don't make my same mistake by buying the $180.00 ebay kit! Pay the little extra money and buy a quality setup from the start and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Oh and the new system seals perfectly when it is closed, So my Magnaflow now has a chance to sound like its supposed to. And when you hit the switch it opens lightning fast. Way to go Doug's Headers! You have earned a new supporter today!

I'll try to get some pics of the new cutout taken in the morning. Good night all.....
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.
Sponsored links