Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Well they came in today but it's storming out so I won't be putting them on until tomorrow or maybe Wednesday. I peeled a corner back to have a look and I'm not entirely convinced that I didn't receive gloss black instead of matte black. We will see I guess.

To the guys that have vinyl....did you install it yourself? If so, what method did you use? The directions that came with these say to mix a water solution with 5-6 drops of dish detergent and a capful of rubbing alcohol and to spray it on the body panel as well as the adhesive side of the vinyl. This is supposed to allow it to move until you press down hard to stick it in place. I'm a little apprehensive about spraying the adhesive. Was actually thinking of doing it by using masking tape to hold one portion of the decal in place while I lay and smooth out the other portion. Thoughts?
It's really as easy as it sounds. Don't bother with the masking take or anything else, you want to be able to slide them around for proper positioning. Just mix up the water/soap solution, spray the hood well and soak the decal with it. Set the decal roughly in place on the hood, then slide it into position. Once I had it where I wanted it I started using the squeegee working from the center to the outer ends; at first when it's still really wet mine didn't want to stick in the inside curve of the hood, but as soon as it starts to tack up in a few minutes it sticks really well - so be sure it's where you want it! I don't exactly recall the rest, but I'm pretty sure you wait for the outer paper to dry, then slowly peel away, then rub it down gently with a soft rag. Use a sharp razor blade to trim the decal where it crosses the hood/fender line, spray them with some of the soap solution and wrap them into the joint. I used some black electrical tape inside the fender/hood line to help hold the decal in place, and to carry on the appearance of the line when the hood is closed. Worked like a charm!