Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
greyguy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone has this happen...worn threads on tie rod (NOT tie-rod ends)

Wondering if anyone has seen, heard, or otherwise experienced this problem.

2007 Ram 1500 with 60,000 miles, started making a clunking noise a few weeks when turning right at parking lot speeds. I figured I would get under there and check things out soon, but today sped the process along a bit.
I was backing out of a parking space and all of a sudden the truck feels like the brakes were applied, got out and my truck is sitting there looking all pigeon-toed. Left side tie rod had come out of the tie rod end.....nothing broke, but the steering arm was pulled out of the tie-rod end.
So I get it home and start looking at the threads on the tie rod....very worn and had a tapered look from the nut to the end and a little rusty. So I grab the calipers to measure the difference and there was about a 1/16" difference from nut to the end of the tie rod. I could slip the tie rod end on about 1/2" before it started to barely engage the threads on the actual tie-rod.
Can't seem to find just the tie rod for sale so it looks like I will have to replace the whole rack & pinion assembly. Is this normal for a 5 year old truck? I understand worn tie-rod ends, but the actual rod being worn??
Sponsored links