View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:15
99RAM is on a distinguished road
Default Best improvement I've seen in 4 years!

My truck currently has 131k+ miles on her and over the last four years has been doing quite poorly on gas mileage.
When I bought the truck in January of '02 I got a consistant 16mpg. Starting about 4 years ago and up until two weeks ago I've been at about 12-13mpg.
Over the last two weeks I have averaged 17mpg. The big change I have made over that time is moving to 91 octane non-Ethanol gas. A smaller change was a fresh tuneup and complete fluid change.

Granted it is mostly highway miles but the motor is much happier and the old girl is running better than she did when I first bought her. I have almost immediate throttle response again. Sure the gas costs more but the extra mileage and performance I am getting is more than worth the additional cost. I'm hopeful but that with the Magnaflow exhaust and Volant CAI I'll be adding in the coming weeks that I'll get a little more and break 18 mpg. Even though I'm doing those mods more for performance than mpg. With my heavy foot those may actually cause me to lose some mpg.
Sponsored links