View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
I have heard the 4.7 is a stout little motor. They produce good HP and last quite a long time it seems to me.

I don't know if I should say "Little" because they produce the same HP as the 3rd gen Hemis did.

Which leads me to the question how do newer single cab 4.7s stack up against 3rd gen single cab Hemis? I have always kind of wondered who would win?
I had a RCSB 05 Sport 4x4 with 3.92/LSD and with only a borla cat back on it. It was stupid fast. No truck should ever be able to go that fast. It was downright scary to drive sometimes because of how badly it handled. If you hit 1/4 throttle through pretty much any turn, you were sideways. Pavement, ice, water, didnt matter the road surface, you were sideways.

My 09 4.7 is ALMOST as fast (maybe a little faster actually), but doesnt feel anywhere near as dangerous. I truly believe this as to do with the suspension enhancements made to the rear end. Going from leaf springs to a 4-link coil setup did WONDERS for how this truck handles its power. Willing to bet the 4th gen Hemi's are even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^I know my 4.7L quad cab with 3.55, superchips 93 tune, and a drop in was just a hair faster than my buddy's old 3rd gen hemi with 3.92's(stock of course).
Indeed. This was the primary reason I was OK with the 4.7. Its not the gutless 235hp motor it was 5 years ago.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...