View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Just depends how you are using it, if you want to go fast the older 4.7L doesn't really do that well. It is still a good truck engine though, enough torque to pull some weight.
I dont know man...I have driven 3rd gen 4.7s, and it was totally anemic. If all you need a truck for is to put shit in the bed and beat it around the construction site at 10 mph, ok I could see it...but if you put 4 people in the truck with luggage or gear to go anywhere, you are better off walking. Trust me, it'll be faster.

In the Dak it was a different story, but even in the durango the 4.7 was just enough.

The redesign unlocked 70hp or so. That right there tells you just how dialed back the engine was in terms of power. Other (import mostly) manufacturers with V8's in the 4.7L range are WELL over 300 horse. Hell, The Toyota 4.3L V8 that debuted in 2002 was almost 300 and the 4.6 and 4.7L that came out after that were 355 and 370 respectively.

They could get nearly 400hp out of the 4.7 with DOHC (which it desperately needs) and VVT-i or something similar.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...